Working together with others in PLN

This blog has been born out of a number of conversations had with colleagues both at school and in my online teacher network - The NZ Teachers (Primary) group on Facebook.

I was looking for a way to document my own professional learning while making it easy to show evidence for the PTC (soon to be standards).

I started off with a concept of a digital portfolio using Google Sites and this is my first version that I posted to the group (link to go to a live version):


Many people commented how helpful this template was but it was pointed out to me that the new standards were coming in that would replace the PTCs.  


I think RTCs changed to PTCs years ago?? But we're not on to STPs yet, so if you've got ERO coming I think they will expect to see PTCs, not RTCs or STPs. These TLAs are beginning to sound like gibberish...

LikeShow More Reactions
Reply
2
21 April at 00:12Edited
Suzie Vesper Completely correct. Have adjusted all language to PTC instead of RTC (thanks for that). Still wonder if we are better to start with STP though given the change is coming so quickly and we are just getting started with teacher portfolios. Otherwise teachers will become very annoyed when they have to change in 3 months time.

I wasn't aware that there were due to come in by July.  That got me thinking I should maybe make a new version based on the incoming draft standards so I made another version of the site:



Once again, this lead to a lot of great conversations as well! The first was about how I'd tried to map the PTC criteria to the standards (I've removed names from the conversation below):

I mapped the STPs and PTCs and came up with this...be interested to see if people agree/disagree - thank you
 I think you have matched these really well - gosh he STPs are more general aren't they. Our PCTs would find the PTCs easier - hope you got all that LOL

LikeShow More Reactions
Reply
1
21 April at 01:16
Suzie Vesper I think that looks great. I had some differences in that I mapped 8 more to Design for Learning and 12 to Professional Learning though there are heaps of cross overs.

Reply
1
21 April at 01:21
actually now you say that Suzie - I agree with you 
I believe the cross overs are intentional as the complexity and holistic nature of the teaching relationship cannot be confined to linear, singular models.

Reply
1
21 April at 01:50Edited
Agreed Ricky! In line with what Sharon is talking about below.
agree it's not linear, but I think learning new things sometimes has to be broken down explicitly before it becomes implicit. A bit like learning to drive a car. Mirrors, signal, manoeuvre - and then it becomes second nature 

And another really interesting conversation about being more holistic with how we gather evidence:


Or......you could think about collecting a few significant pieces of evidence and referencing them to the PTC. This may not apply to you but I despair at seeing people spending hours collecting and referencing "evidence" against each criteria.....totally not necessary 😜

LikeShow More Reactions
Reply
3
21 April at 06:46
I agree - easier to write a post and then map it to the criteria that fit 

LikeShow More Reactions
Reply21 April at 07:44
Suzie Vesper Totally understand where you are coming from. More like a learning story and much more holistic. Not the way our school has been heading but really good food for thought for us to consider.
Suzie Vesper Yes, I wrote a post in the past when I was a DigiAdvisor about using blog tags for just that purpose Judy but had forgotten about it!! Our class has been compiling digital portfolios using Sites so I guess I've become a little preoccupied by that 😊If you use a blog, you can filter by tag to see all posts referencing each standard. We probably should look at that option too!!

Reply
1
21 April at 07:59
agree it's holistic, but I think learning new things sometimes has to be broken down explicitly before it becomes implicit. A bit like learning to drive a car. Mirrors, signal, manoeuvre - and then it becomes second nature



And that is how I ended up back as a blog! I'm still trying to work out if I use a combination of blog and site but the point of this post is that my PLN is an important part of my professional learning and helps to inspire and adapt my thinking. I also like to think that I am contributing as well as benefiting from my PLN.

Criteria (current) and Standards (draft) I believe this learning story demonstrates:


Criteria One - Establish and maintain effective professional relationships focused on the learning and well-being of ākonga
  • i. engage in ethical, respectful, positive and collaborative professional relationships with: 
    • teaching colleagues and other professionals 
    • agencies, groups and individuals in the community 

Criteria Four - demonstrate commitment to ongoing professional learning and development of personal professional practice.
  • identify professional learning goals in consultation with colleagues 
  • ii. participate responsively in professional learning opportunities within the learning community 
  • iii. initiate learning opportunities to advance personal professional knowledge and skills 


Criteria Five - show leadership that contributes to effective teaching and learning
  • i. actively contribute to the professional learning community 
  • ii. undertake areas of responsibility effectively 

Criteria Twelve - use critical inquiry and problem solving effectively in their professional practice.
  • i. systematically and critically engage with evidence and professional literature to reflect on and refine practice 
  • ii. respond professionally to feedback from members of their learning community 


Standard Two - Use critical inquiry, collaborative problem solving and professional learning to improve professional capability to impact on the learning and achievement of all learners.
  • e) Seek and act on feedback from colleagues, learners and other education professionals. 
  • f) Engage in collaborative problem-solving and learning focussed collegial discussions. 

Standard Three - Establish and maintain professional relationships and behaviours focussed on the learning and well-being of each learner.
  • a) Engage in collaborative learning-focussed relationships with: 
    • teaching colleagues, support staff and other professionals 
    • agencies, groups and individuals in the community. 
  • b) Work collegially and collaboratively in the pursuit of improving practice. 
  • e) Show leadership that contributes to effective teaching and learning.

Comments

  1. Is this going to be your PTC / STP blog? I would like to add it in the side bar to my PTC blog. Would that be OK??

    http://allanahptc.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the plan! Not sure how often I will get to updating it but feel free to add it :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflections on my team leader role

Sharp reading